View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

Sometimes labels keep us apart, sometimes they bring us together. Sometimes labels are traps, sometimes they are the key to freedom. They are changeable and removeable, though it can take a bit of elbow grease and solvent to get rid of those last bits of stubborn adhesive...

The point I am trying to make is this...for some of us, at some points in our life it was a relief and high point to be able to stick a label firmly on OURSELVES...not being labeled by someone on the outside, but recognizing my own place among a specific group. I've found the label "addict" freeing, it's been a key for me, at this point in my life, opening doors to groups, tools, and real people that are a lifeline for me.

I have other labels I've picked up and laid down over the decades, they served their purpose. Some I may choose to wear for the rest of my life, I don't know, my perspective changes daily. I've had many surprises, and many of them have to do with labels...since I picked up my "addict" label a strange thing has happened, about 6 or 7 others just fell off! I didn't know that I was covering up my addict label with a bunch of other compulsive identity issues...and when I recognized my self as an addict, all of a sudden I didn't need those other identities that I'd been putting so much time and energy into maintaining.

So for me, right now, labeling myself "addict" has actually been very freeing and a positive step. I wasn't ready, able or prepared to do that a year ago. But I am ready now, and it was the right thing to do...for me