Thread: Son's addiction
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Spiritual Seeker
get it, give it, grow in it

" ((SS)) - though I know your son is doing GREAT after long term rehab, I have to say that it doesn't work unless the A is READY for it work...and obviously your son was. "

FYI - my son wasn't ready actually...I had been nagging him to go to rehab for 3 yrs. and on the night before he went I told him if he didn't go the next day that I would never offer to pay for rehab again. That I was done.
He was at a low point on that given day being unable to hold a job or find a new on and his girlfriend had kicked him out.
I got him to rehab but then He got kicked out of the rehab after two mos. for not being serious about his sobriety
Luckily, after spending a couple of nights in the parking lot of a homeless shelter that was too full for him, He decided to go back
Luckily the rehab took him back .
He was not ready when he got to rehab...but while there because he had no where else to go, he decided to stay. But it was a rocky road. He relapsed a couple of times in rehab. Getting him to go just put him in a place to start the climb up...
My son only decided to to give sobriety a try after he'd been in rehab for about 5 months.
Which is the case for others, I am sure.

I just got back from visiting him. Some who crossed his path in long-term rehab are still sober others are not.
Some are doing very well while some struggle
Addiction is cunning. My hat is off to all addicts who chooses sobriety each day.