View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 05:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

As an addict who has major problems with food and sex, along with substances I CAN stay clean from...let me tell you the eating and relationship issues are MUCH harder to deal with.

I cannot eat foods that combine simple carbs and fat. I can't without binging into active addiction on them all over again. I HAVE to stay on my diet of NO refined foods, not even flour, in order to not binge, and a binge in that area releases my other addictions all over again.

Sex/relationships...same. I need relationships to live, but it is incredibly hard for me to be clean in those areas, much harder than saying no to dope or booze, because it's so easy to slip into sick addictive behavior, do something I regret, and off go all my other addictions again.

So, I have found that for me it's better to not even try to have a little of those things to which I am sensitive and CAN live without, and not put myself in danger zones any more than is absolutely necessary, For me it's just asking for trouble, it takes all the vigilance I have to maintain control in those areas in which I cannot simply go cold turkey.

Yeah, one christmas cookie can start a mad gallop toward total relapse in all areas. Sounds dramatic I know, but for me it's the truth and I've learned it the hard way. First it's a cookie and two hours and two dozen cookies later later I am telling myself how a little drink won't hurt, and an hour and three drinks after that I am justifying some pills to help me sleep...