View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  
Tytan

Day 42… and it’s my wife birthday, but we are apart until Christmas Eve. She seems to be in good spirits though.
I received my dreaded email this morning… it was pretty much what I thought it was going to be. May boss was basically documenting a disciplinary reprimand. She still refuses to admit she did anything wrong. That’s fine. If having the last word and taking back the “power” in our work relationship is that important to her… she can have it. I’m just going to keep my mouth shut and move on with my life… which is kind of hard to do… but I’m doing it. Because I know one very specific truth. If I was actually in the wrong, she would never have approved my additional leave on sheer principle. So, fine, mouth off like you know what you are talking about and let me move on with my life.
Mirage: Interesting story about your husband. A number of years ago my wife started dabbling around with recovery. She has a drinking problem as well. I was completely and totally unsupportive. Why should I suffer? It’s her problem… not mine, right? I was very resentful about not being able to enjoy a beer in my own house. Obviously my wife recovery never progressed very far… and over the next couple years our relationship completely disintegrated. It’s interesting how finally seeing the need for my own recovery is what finally initiated out healing as a couple. I really feel for your situation.
Asta: Believe it or not… I took 8 weeks of Serbian language training for about 5 hours a day before arriving. And well… it did nothing for me. It’s a really tough language. Languages are tiered by difficulty in the Service. Latin and Germanic based languages are tier one… they are pretty similar structurally to English and pretty easy to pick up. In the kind of intense training we do people can get fluent in about 10 weeks. BUT, Serbian is a tier three language. And it is messed up. Grammatically, it makes no sense whatsoever. And to give you some perspective… tier four is Arabic and Chinese… there are only four tiers. Anyway… Every tier pretty much doubles in training time to be a functional speaker. Tier one is 8 to 10 weeks, Tier two is about four to six months, Tier three about ten to eleven months… and tier four is almost two years… it’s all crazy. And I only got eight weeks. Erg.
Asta: On another note, My wife adores Eat, Pray, Love. She’s also