View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
gingernyc

I can relate-here are some tips

Part of why I drank so heavily toward the end is it was the only way I could sleep at night. After being sober for 10 months, here's my get to sleep formula. Some of it may seem weird, and extreme, but I've had pretty good success, and I feel well rested in the morning:

1) I Listen to my body. If I start to feel tired "earlier" than I want to go to sleep, I try to give in and just go to bed--otherwise I get a second wind, and then it's harder to get to sleep once I do go to bed. Sometimes I drink a relaxing tea, like chamomile to help me get in a sleep mood. I start getting ready to go to bed before I'm really, really tired--because I have found that the getting ready rituals can actually get me revved and awake again. So, I start getting ready for bed as soon as I start to feel sleepy.

2) Once I start to feel tired, I try to reduce stimuli--bright lights, loud tv, etc. This has been proven scientifically, that the brain is stimulated especially by light. As I prepare for bed, I turn on a light on a dimmer in my bedroom instead of using the overhead light, brush my teeth in the bathroom with very little light, etc.

3) I keep all electronic devices out of my bedroom, and I keep my bedroom as dark and free from ambient light as much as possible. The science shows that our brains are stimulated and kept from deep rest by the presence of very little light--such as from blackberries, street lights, alarm clocks, LED displays, etc. I put my alarm clock with it's LED display under the bed so I can't be exposed to the light.

4) I turn on a fan for white noise and point it away from my bed.

5) I make sure the temperature in the bedroom is on the cool side

6) I use a lavender scented lotion or spray and then snuggle in for a good night's rest.

7) Also I have noticed that if I eat really salty food, I tend to wake up with my pulse racing. I have no idea why this is, but maybe it raises blood pressure or something. So...I try to avoid that in the evenings and of course, anything caffeinated, including chocolate (I really try not to have caffeine any later than say 2 or 3 in the afternoon.)

I was really miserable when I wasn't sleeping well, and when I first quit drinking, I was having lots of night sweats presumably from the estrogen withdrawal (alcohol has a lot of estrogen). I used alcohol as an excuse to nod off, but in reality the quality of my sleep wasn't good at all. I would always awaken groggy and hungover and feeling rather beaten up. Hope these tips help!!