Old 12-18-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Helenlee

My husbands tragedy is that he tried to control how much he drank. He really, really tried. I never saw anyone try harder to drink in moderation.
He's 42 years old & is serving his 3rd jail term for alcohol related driving offenses & he won't get his drivers license back until 2015. He's also been bankrupt & hasn't had any contact with his own children for years.
I wonder if things would have been different for him if he hadn't tried so hard?
He's still saying, while in jail, "I don't think the drinking's the problem". (I think he could shorten that sentence by about half & it would be more accurate!)
He just doesn't get that alcoholic's can't drink at all if they want to avoid the slippery slope down to hell.

There's a big difference between catastrophizing & intelligently interpreting a sign. When the terrible boxing day sunami happened I couldn't help but wonder how different things might have been if all the people who ran to the beach to watch had run for the hills instead. If only they'd known how to interpret the sign.