Old 12-18-2009, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bernadette

I almost feel silly to be angry. It seems tiny

Look, don't minimize your feelings. I would be upset too. He is an alcoholic, not a person who has ever established that he can have "one" drink. And that first drink often triggers the spiral back into the insanity again, so don't deny the facts we all know about alcoholism.

That being said -- it is the anxiety and obsession about the future in relation to his one drink that would cause me trouble, because anxiety and obsession and awfulizing the future and etc (I know you know what I'm talkin' about!!) is a symptom of my problem and my bad habits of mind. So you sound like you have a little plan to get through this - AlAnon and calling your sponsor etc.

Just stay in today as best you can. It is a codie trigger reaction to fantasize - when they are active we fantasize about the day they recover and all will be well - when they are sober we fantasize about the downfall of relapse and all the horrors we can imagine! It's a cuckoo way to think/live! I've found the cure to be to stay just right here in the now, accept that I am upset about something and trust that all is as it should be and more will be revealed.

I also keep an active plans list. Somethings (especially fun or positive things!) I know I need to get done - that in the past I would have let my need to obsess over the alcoholic obliterate or relieve me of the urgency to get my own stuff done. Codependence is a MAJOR distraction! If I'm falling I pull out the list and it brings the focus back to me.

stay strong silk - take a deep breath, all is well.

peace-
b