View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ExNavyInHouston
Drunkaholic

I remember the first 6 months of my sobriety having horrible sleep patterns. But I will share with you what worked for me to beat it. I tried everything over the counter too.

But here's what worked:

Peter Gillam's Natural Calm

This stuff is just magnesium powder.

You take two teaspoons and dissolve it in a 1/2 cup of water. But be gentle about stirring it in because it is very effervescent and will foam up really fast. After you get it all dissolved ad some cooler water and drink it like a warm tea.

Now the affects on this stuff are not immediate so drink this about 20 minutes before you will be in bed and ready to sleep.

What I do is take it, go brush my teeth and do my getting for bed rituals.

Once in bed, I then would take 5MG of Melatonin. I always use the "sublingual" or the the kind that dissolves under your tongue.

This is the brand I use:

Also with Melatonin, it is not immediate. Once it dissolves though, in a about another 15 - 20 minutes you are going to be sleepy.

I get both of the products online at a company called Vita-Cost.

Now, for the down side, the magnesium is going to make you very "regular" in the mornings. In time, you body gets used to it.

I would also suggest for all of you, stop trying to sleep with a TV on. The audio from the TV never lets your brain go deep enough into your sleep patterns.

In time, you can remove the Melatonin from your routine if you want.