View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  
Tytan

Day 38,
Still on track everyone and my sideway is snow free! Lol. That’s right this southern boy can handle a snow shovel.
Yeah, still on track. I had a small family get together tonight with my carpool. There are five of us who formalized a carpool a while back and we rotate. We get along really well. When five guys share a car 5 days a week during a 45 minute commute (each way) you get to know each other very well… this was our first time hanging out after hours with just the five families. This get together comes with a total of 8 children and 2 prego wives. Lots of fun.
But the night was also about goodbyes. One of our carpool families is leaving post and of course my wife leaves tomorrow. One of the down sides of this kind of overseas live style is the fact that you say goodbye a lot. Everyone is either here for 2 or 3 years and everyone shows up at different times. Someone you really click with might only be here for your 1st month or your last 6 months… and someone you can’t stand could be here most of your tour. Anyway we had a little send off for everyone. It was really nice. Just a cozy get together… very informal which was nice.
Anyway, the host of our carpool get together offered me a beer tonight, I denied, “He man, I haven’t seen you drink in a while, you doing the whole solidarity thing?” Referring to my prego wife… and I love it when people give you an out before you have to make something up. “Yeah… solidarity”… “You are an admirable man”… yeah… right.
Anyway… it sucks to have to dodge and weave all the time… but you know? I think I just want to get through this posting which ends next summer… when I get to my next assignments… I think I’ll establish myself as a non-drinker… if I try and reinvent myself here? I just don’t think I want to deal with answering the questions.
Peace out everyone!