Old 12-17-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
silkspin

He's going out tonight and I will be strong

Hi everyone,

My h is going out tonight, pretty much for the first time in almost a year. We moved to a new city just as he sobered up, so he took advantage of the 'geographic' cure to its fullest and didn't have to worry about too much temptation. He's gone to lunch with colleagues at pubs and a handful of family gatherings and one wedding, and he's done ok, but mostly we had our daughter with us too (2 yrs) and were together so that may have made things easier. He's avoided any invites to bars all together, good for him if he feels unsure, but as a social person, he told me he's also felt isolated. He doesn't yet know how to socialize without booze, and one day will come where he'll have to dip his toe into the water.

Well that day may be today. He received a holiday dinner/hockey watching invite from his volleyball teammates. They are going to a casual sports pub/restaurant.

This will be his first time socializing during an evening thing where booze is served, with friends. He no longer goes to AA and we still have many issues, but he's thrown himself into work and sports and quit smoking too, and it feels like the drinking days are a million years away. It doesn't matter anyhow. I'm meditating to my HP and will let his HP take care of him. I don't know what's going to happen but I will have to be strong enough to deal with whatever does. But I admit that I do feel a bit anxious about it all, especially leading into Christmas and family coming to stay with us - if something goes badly I worry about how it will affect my mood on the holidays (even though I have my recovery tools - it will be hard if faced with something negative)

Vibes of support appreciated.