Thread: Hi to everyone
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Stayinfree, stay in the day, the moment if needed to stay sober, the past is the past & it can not be changed, the future will never arrive, all we have to do is live in the day and the moment because that is all we will ever have control over is what we do right now.

If you find that SR alone is not enough for you to stay sober check out Alcoholics Anonymous. Notice I bolded anonymous.

I see you live in the UK, but AA is the same on both sides of the pond.

Ask your self this question:

If I went to an AA meeting and saw Mayor would you leave the meeting and tell every one "You know I was at an AA meeting last night and I saw the Mayor there!"

Of course you wouldn't, reason being who ever you told would ask you what you were doing there!!!

I can tell you that I know for a fact that here in the US, there are politicians all the way up to the national level who have attended AA for many years. There are closed AA meeting in almost every government building in DC including the US Congress.

I know lawyers, a Judge, a retired Preacher, business owners, businessmen, and others all in the public eye in my area that have attended AA for years.

When I was drinking I used to think no one knew I was a drunk except my immediate family, I convinced myself that I never slurred my speech, that I always walked a straight line and that I always carried on an intelligent converstaion even when drunk.

Well it only took me a few months sober to find out that almost every single person that knew me also knew I was a drunk! The only person I ever really fooled was me.

Another question to ponder, would you rather people know you as a drunk or as a recovering alcoholic who attends AA?

I was known as a drunk for many years all the while thinking I was fooling every one, now every person who knew me as a drunk knows me as a recovering alcoholic, they all have the utmost respect for me today.