View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forever4you

Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
The whole disease/not disease thing is endlessly debatable. What matters is what his intention is and what you feel.

If it sounds like/feels like a cop out to you then I believe you and I believe you know best how to assess this person's intentions.

I believe addiciton is s disease that kicks in after years of bad choices - kind of like type 2 diabetes. Once it's there - embedded in your physiology/metabolism - well, it exists as a progressive disease process in the body. And only the alcoholic or diabetic can control what they choose to put in their body.

But alcoholism is no excuse for bad behavior. I have an A bro who is sweet as pie, very gentle and has never spoken a harsh word to anyone. And another who was a belligerant a**hole when he was half in the wrapper so one can't blame alcohol.

Being drunk explains a lot but it excuses nothing.

I think wherever you go, drunk or sober, there YOU are, just being yourself!!

peace-
b
I think knowing him as I do he is probably mortified by some of the things he has done because I can't say he was a mean or abusive drunk. Nonetheless he was a drunk that lied, manipulated, mooched, couldn't keep a job, urinated on himself in public, drained our bank account and on and on. Thank God he was not an abusive drunk. If anything the more he drank the more he wanted to love up on me which was always ridiculous because he was going down before he could get up. (if you know what I mean) LOL!

But to suddenly hear "he has learned" as if this is what he has been taught the last six weeks in an active recovery program.....that is not sitting well with me. I don't see accountability in that statement.