Old 12-16-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
keithj

Where you at with the 12 steps, meditation? I hope my asking doesn't tick you off, but I'll take that chance. I've heard your description of present life more than once from folks in the first couple of years of sobriety.

There just isn't that spark that some of us talk about. There isn't that zest for life. I'm not saying anything is wrong with your situation, but you describe a lot of life circumstances that are going OK. That's a little different beast than the promised 4th dimension.

I suspect much like the guy yeahgr8 mentioned, a good friend of mine was in this same boat. He stayed sober for 18 months, got all his problems sorted out, and just felt like blah. Just blah. With that feeling, he became willing to take the steps, because he could see that having his life circumstances sorted out were not enough for him. He sought that spark he saw in others.

Within a short time, he was on fire with recovery, and has been since then. There is something fundamentally changed in him that goes way beyond having less chaos in his life. He is peaceful regardless of life circumstance.

And that's the state of real recovery. I tend to move with life, not riding it up when things are good and down when they are not.

I'm only asking, meditation, because I honestly care. I've seen people fall off when ordinary life just isn't enough for them. Hell, I fell off my first go at sobriety with 7-8 months. That brief time didn't compare at all with the true sobriety that came with a spiritual awakening as the result of the steps. Problem was, I didn't know what that could be until I had done the work and actually experienced it.