View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jager72

Smile Living with the alcoholic

I am new here to this site. I have 2 years sobriety yet, my Fiance' is still abusing alcohol. Daily drinker and sometimes falls asleep in the garage. I have come to accept that and not take it personal. My hard times is on the average every 2 weeks he will binge for a couple of days. I started a new hobby and also found this website. Very thankful, I am. My trouble is when he decides to try and drive drunk or go to the bar (I know he is out of his mind and looking for a fight at the bar with someone). I know during these times I am suppose to let him be, to hit his bottom. He is an extremely loving, loyal, honest man to myself and my kids. But, his binges and one stupid decision on his part could put us all out on the street if he were to get a DUII. My kids and I have nowhere else to go and I could not afford the costs of living without his help. So, at times I do butt in on his bad choices. Sometimes I just have to let him go and pray for him and hope for the best. He started to attend one AA meeting with me per week. He has been doing this for a couple of months. He admits he is an alcoholic and he is hoping to hear something that will just click. Hardest thing yet is all his family and friends are alcoholics as well. I study my Bible, attend my meetings( Bible and AA), keep active in my hobby/kids, pray for him, and try to ignore the "What Ifs..".
I hope my story will help someone in a similiar situation. It is not an easy life to live but, I feel my man is worth holding on to and GOD has not abandoned him so, nor will I. Besides, back when I was drinking hard and heavy, my Fiance' stuck it out with me.