View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
skroomadoom

I'm new here but I'm pretty sure you can say what you were using / how you were using (someone correct me if I'm wrong). From what you said I'm assuming you were injecting prescription opiates. I've never injected but I am an opiate addict so I've got some experience being where you're at.

I can't give you medical advice, but as far as being sick / withdrawing -- yes it sucks, but it also doesn't last that long and it's not going to kill you (unless you have some other medical condition). Personally, in my experience and from what I've seen with my friends, tapering with your drug of choice pretty much never works because you're always gonna be tempted to take more. Cold turkey sucks, but the physical part will be over in 3-5 days. Going through withdrawal also served as a bit of a wake up call for me to the consequences of opiate use and gave me a little more motivation not to get myself in that trap again.

If you really _cannot_ be sick for some reason (since you're not working I can't see why you couldn't), then it might be worth it to talk to your doctor about suboxone. It will keep you feeling "normal" (i.e. not sick) while at the same time preventing you from getting high on other opiates. Then you have time to sort your life out and get into some positive routines and you can ween off when you are more mentally stable. I've never been on suboxone but from what I've seen with friends it's much easier to ween off of since you don't really get high from it so there isn't the temptation to take more.

If you do decide to go the cold turkey route, shoot me a PM and I can show you where to find some tips on making it more comfortable. I may not be great on staying sober but I know a few ways to make the physical part more bearable.