Old 12-15-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
skroomadoom

I'm from Atlanta (live in Ansley/downtown area) and I'm starting my recovery process as well. My problem was opiates mostly but alcohol always seemed to lead to using so this time I'm giving up that as well and thinking of going to AA in addition to NA.

I've only been to one NA meeting so far so I can't really help you as far as finding meetings but hopefully someone will be along soon to give us both suggestions. I tried using the NA meeting locator but all the meetings near me were in kind of bad areas...I went to one but seemed like most of the people there were pretty down and out...a few homeless, probably none went to college, etc. I don't have anything against these people but I also feel like I can't relate to them as well as I would like. I'm a college student from an affluent background so I'm in a slightly different spot -- never been really strung out, on the street, etc. I'm thinking of trying some AA meetings since maybe those people will be a little less "hardcore" than the people I met in NA. Just trying to find a place I fit in better I guess.

Let me know if you find any good meetings and I'll do the same. Good luck on your recovery!