Thread: rehab
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
CrackQuack

Originally Posted by sara19 View Post
my instincts tell me to get completely wasted

why wont anyone just give me a clear answer instead of telling me about support groups and telephone hotlines and all of these stupid things that i know wont work for me.. that is NOT what i asked about... im really not trying to be rude here, im just so frustrated, its like nothing can help me...
Are you frustrated because you're not hearing that recovery will be easy? I am just asking, because it is coming off that way, to me. You wanted to know the difference between a support group and rehab. 51Anna put it very well. Rehab is for a set period of time. It involves either going to a set number of "visits" also known as outpatient treatment, or going in for a set number of days, weeks, or months, known as inpatient. It DOES involve a doctor. A doctor CAN help. Addiction is treatable. Not curable, but doctors can help guide you, and depending on what you are addicted to, even offer forms of medicine to help treat withdrawal symptoms. That is something you will have to speak to a doctor about.
As far as support groups, like NA and AA, they are just that. You go to the meetings. You LISTEN. Don't go to one, go home and get wasted, and say it doesn't work for you. I went to DOZENS of meetings high on crack, high on vicodin, and drunk. THE BEST thing about NA/AA is that the meetings are FULL of people EXACTLY like you. EXACTLY like me. Although we do not have a one size fits all program, those groups are fantastic places to start and they are not only support groups, but a means to learn a different way to live.
BUT, nothing will EVER work for you if you don't want it to. You've got to WANT TO STAY CLEAN AND SOBER. You can't try something and say it doesn't work for you. For NA and AA to work, YOU HAVE TO WORK IT. Go to more meetings. LISTEN. READ the pamphlets. Get the books and read them. Get a sponsor. Work the steps. Really throw yourself into it. Take it one day at a time. Go to a meeting a day! Just keep going back. You will, at least, learn more about yourself and about addiction! I can promise you that.
From the beginning, it's totally up to you. I went to hundreds of meetings, in the beginning.
One thing to understand is that, while we can all relate, and we can understand what you are going through, there is no one RIGHT path to recovery. There are as many paths to recovery as there are people. That is why no one can totally explain it to you and they can only share their experiences. They share in order to let you know what has worked for them and maybe one or more of those things can work for you.
I started out going to a doctor. I was forced to. I was OD'ing on crack cocaine. The nurses said there was nothing they could do for me as cocaine is 100% psychological addiction and there were no programs for cocaine addiction. Imagine how upsetting that is. To hear there is NO help for cocaine addiction. I didn't let that stop me. I asked the doctor and she recommended a pastor. I went to that pastor. He recommended NA and praying to God for guidance. He printed out a list for me, of meetings. I went to my first one high. I went to several more, HIGH. Sometimes, I'd go to a meeting straight and then go get high. I wasn't serious about getting clean.
February 2nd, 2009 was the last time I got high.
People gave up on me. People are human, like me. No one is perfect. But there are people out there to help. You just got to want it. It IS frustrating, at first. It seems hopeless. That's why you need to keep going to meetings and LISTEN. You'll start to hear the hope. The experience. The strength. You're not the first to go to a meeting and then, afterwards, get loaded. You won't be the last, but you can make it your last time by going back! :ghug3