Thread: rehab
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Not sure exactly what "other issues" you are dealing with, but if the are mental, make sure you mention that to your doctor or rehab if you go. Many alcoholics are fall into the catagory of Dual Diagnosis. This means in addition to your alcoholism you many have some sort of mental disorder, such as depression, anxiety, bi-polar, etc. Often these symptoms get better just by stopping drinking because alcohol can mess with your brain chemestry. However, sometimes the issue was preexisting, or there has been permenant to semi-permenant damage done to your brain requiring medication to "re-ballance" your brain chemestry.

If you are more speaking of your life being a "wreck", that is really something that will only get better when you quit drinking. My life had turned into total and complete insanity, to the point where I was hospitalzed in the mental ward a couple of times, against my will. My relationship was a disaster, my appartment looked like a dump, I had no pride in my appearence, I was severaly depressed, etc. None of this got better until I quit. Some parts of my life still do such, but at least now, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Take care.