Old 12-13-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SpaceButler

Share stories of common pitfalls with me!

Hello, I've tried with varying success in the past to stop drinking, but get stopped up along the way. I've found some common pitfall areas when I try to quit. I thought typing them would help to be prepared for them when they happen.

Also, I was hoping people could add their own, or comment on how they've dealt with ones of mine.

So here are some that I experience every time:

Day 2-3: Panicky feeling that I'll never be able to drink again. I have thoughts of how good tasting and good looking it is, and of some of the fun times I've had. This can often lead to bargaining in a way that I let myself drink a little bit, which normally turns back into the binge drinking.

Day 5-7: If I go this far, I'll start to forget my reasoning for wanting to quit. My friends are going out, and it isn't even a struggle in my mind. I say to myself, "I'm going to miss out on a good time, and I don't feel at all out of control". I'll go and drink, and have a good time then wake up feeling like crud.

30 days +: If I make it past the first week, I normally make it to a month. Got up to 3 months once. It's at this point where I'm convinced I've beaten it. I'll think occasionally that I want to have a beer with a friend, and I'll be confident because I have no compulsion whatsoever to drink; it just sounds like a nice idea. And that's where I lose it again, going back to frequent binge drinking.

Sorry for the long post but I'd love to hear some more pitfalls people have and how they've coped. Of I'd like to hear if anyone has dealt with the same ones I have. Has anyone here started up again and learned to be more responsible?

Thanks for your time!