View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Bernadette

I heard this long ago but it always resonates for me when I hear the phrase "functioning alcoholic."

"Nothing gets in the way of their drinking."

So if they have to hold a job to keep the money flowing for their booze - they will hold a job. If they have to hold a job to maintain just enough self-esteem and respect in the community so that they can keep drinking. They will hold a job. If they have to play the pity card with family and friends so they can keep drinking they will play the pity card. If they have to deny they have a problem so they can keep drinking- they will deny. If admitting they have a problem gets everyone to back off for a while so they can keep drinking - they will admit they have a problem... if they have to blame their miserable childhoods or their lousy parents for their need to drink - they will blame their lousy childhood etc., etc., ad infinitum!

NOTHING gets in the way. Not love. Not hate. Not money. An active alcoholic will find ways and means to drink. Because that is what alcoholics do.

"Functioning" is just a stage. Alcoholism is progressive and there are many "yets" in the future of an alcoholic who does not seek recovery.

Hasn't sobered up, yet.
Hasn't gotten a DUI, yet.
Hasn't had pancreatitis, yet.
Hasn't lost his family, yet.
Hasn't killed anyone while driving, yet.

When you ask about a turning point did you mean to post this in the "Alcoholics" section to get answers from recovered A's?

My turning point as the daughter and sister of alcoholics came when I realized my life was not what I wanted it to be and I was not who I wanted to be becuase I was so caught up in the drama/trauma/pain of my brothers alcoholism it had started to make me nutso. I just didn't know how to handle it - and I had yet to reconcile all the damage done to me by growing up with an alcoholic father and a codie mom.

AlAnon got me on the right track.

Have you considered AlAnon for yourself or AlAteen for your daughter? I hope she is able to talk to you about what she's going through...it really sux to grow up in alcoholic household -- yes, even a "functioning" one, where most of the time people pretend nothing is amiss!!! It teaches some very warped lessons I gotta tell ya!

peace-
b