View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bbr

Hello and Thanks for the Help

I’ve been lurking here for awhile and have found the support very helpful, so I have finally decided to post and hopefully give something back.

Today marks the 3rd week of sobriety (day 21) in my latest and FINAL attempt to become sober.

After over 30 years of drinking and struggling with the problems that come along with it, I made my 1st serious attempt to quit about 2 years ago. This was after a close friend and drinking buddy nearly died from alcohol related illnesses. We both quick drinking and he has remained sober. I, on the other hand, went several months without a drink, decided that “just having a drink now and then couldn’t hurt, right?” Well, you know the rest of the story… I eventually slipped back into my old ways and was back to hard drinking every day. The sad thing was that I was so embarrassed about admitting that I was drinking again, was that I was then doing it on the sly:

- hiding booze around the house and sneaking drinks when nobody would see.

- Stopping in for a quick one (or 2 or 3) at a dive where nobody new me, when out running errands.

and so on... a drunk can be very resourseful.

Many of my family and friends were actually glad to think I had quit, and I didn’t want them to know that I really had not.

Now that I am actually quit again, it is like a big weight has been lifted. I don’t have to sneak out for a drink. Don’t have to hide the empties in the trash, etc. And I am actually looking forward to a sober Christmas with friends and family. Anyway, thanks for the support from SR. It has truely been a big help. I've been logging on and reading when those irrational thoughts about it being "OK, just 1" start creaping into my head... and it IS helping to hear the support you give each other.

BBR