View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
burstpeach

[QUOTE=mirage;2457098

I quit 27 days ago. Feels great, but I'm just doing it a day at a time..really living in the moment and not looking ahead or contemplating "forever". It's intimidating. I don't think I was physically addicted to it much either. I had a headache for a couple days, but that's it. Not sure why...I was drinkin a lot of beer.

Sobriety has been so much better for me than moderation. I was so sick of thinking about it all the time. i.e. "What's today? If today is Wednesday and I drank on Monday, then if I drink tonight, but not tomorrow...that'll make it only 4 times this week, which is better than last week...." yada yada.... It sucks. Now it's just not an option, and I think about it much less. I'm slowly getting out the "habit" of drinking at night...it gets easier. Oh, I have my moments...but again..just trying to commit to today. I look at it as something that's new and exciting..I've never been a non-drinker! And oh man, are the mornings nicer!! I'm excited for you, too! Good luck![/QUOTE]

I can really relate to what you're saying. I too am struggling with the prospect of never having a drink again and am trying not to concern myself with it. I'm more concerned with this weekend, how am I going to handle not drinking.

The thing that I do find as motivation is the mornings after not drinking! I can actually get up, feel bright eyed and motivated. Unlike this week where I've spent every day infront of the tv wishing for sleep to escape the discomfort of a hangover. Another motivating factor is to be a better person...someone who can get up and contribute to society, fullfill my potential and to be a decent girlfriend.

From past exeprience I know it gets easier...it's just that this time I don't want to allow myself a single drink, whereas in the past, I've often had the odd drink...but as I said before, that doesn't last and I go down the same drunken route. I fear I may find this time much harder...knowing that I am forbidding myself even one drink!! But that fear is precisely what lets me know that I have problem!

27 days is impressive...I haven't manged that for years. I look forward to being able to say the same in 27 days time!!