View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
littlefish

Hello and welcome!
I too had fears that my husbands drinking habits would affect my recovery. We were drinking buddies. He is not an alcoholic. However, my increased consumption of alcohol had over a period of years also increased his consumption. We went from sharing 1 bottle of wine over a weekend, 20 years ago, to two bottles for every weekend evening by the time I quit: 6 bottles shared by us from Friday night to Sunday night.

When I quit my husband continued with drinking 1 bottle by himself every weekend night, but that gradually diminished. Now he is drinking 1/2 bottle quite often and saving the rest for the next night, and often skipping Sunday nights entirely. I never expected that to happen.
The arguments we always had while drinking stopped immedietely.

I didn't know what to expect when I quit, but I recall attaching a lot of importance to his drinking. In retrospect, it never became a problem. The only problem I had in the beginning was the presence of alcohol in the house. I made some changes there and bought a lockable liquor cabinet and over the last few months my husband has been very good about locking everything up.

In the very beginning I felt there were a couple of sabotaging events, yet I never felt the pressure from him to drink.
Many, many successfully recovered alcoholics live with moderate drinkers, heavydrinkers and even alcoholics. Of course the easiest scenario would be to live with a moderate drinker....