Thread: Now what?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 03:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Pretty much all my physical withdrawal symptoms are gone. Now I'm left with actually facing and dealing with the things I covered up with alcohol. It's all coming out and is pretty raw. How on earth am I supposed to deal with this without taking a drink?!?!?
Oh yes, I can sure relate to that! When I came out of detox sober reality slapped me right in the face! It was like a gorilla was on me and at that time the only solution I had for living life was drinking, but at this point I also knew that if I started to drink again it would kill me eventually, I had to find a different solution that did not involve drinking.

In detox they told us that if we wanted a chance at long term sobriety we should go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

Well the day I got out of detox I had to make a decision...... get drunk or find a different solution! They suggested AA and I did AA.

I had drank for 40 years and the last 5 years of my drinking I doubt if I drew a sober breath, I did not have a clue in how to live life on lifes terms without being drunk.

When I went to AA there were people there who at one time had been just like me, they had found a solution for their problems and had a twinkle in their eyes and a skip to thier step, they had self confidence and were sober.. The best thing about these folks is their favorite thing to do was to share with folks like me the solution they had found and how they dealt with life sober!!!!

Heck there is even a chapter in the book Alcoholics Anonymous called "There is a Solution"

Why face all this caca alone? Why not check out a few AA meetings and talk to folks who have found a solution like I and millions of others have. What do you have to lose?