View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 07:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
skroomadoom

I can't offer much advice since I'm really new to recovery myself (only 3 days sober) but just want to say that I'm in the same boat as you. I'm in college and in a fraternity so as you can imagine basically every weekend of my college life and a lot of the weekdays have consisted largely of "partying" involving drinking and/or drugs. There are lots of friends that I only hang out with when we are getting high or drunk. I also have a reputation of being a bit of a "party person" as you mentioned.

Honestly I have the exact same fears as you. I have tried being sober before and the boredom always gets to me. When you're drinking/using you always have something you can do. I also worry that by being sober I may lose some of my friends because hanging out with me won't be fun anymore now that I'm not drinking.

I'm starting to realize more and more that these fears are unfounded. I have several friends who have been in the same boat and gotten sober and I see them out doing things all the time. I recently went to a concert with a sober friend who I had used and drank with in the past and he seemed to be having a much better time at the show now that he would actually be able to remember it! My buddy's girlfriend is sober and she hangs out with us at the fraternity all the time and probably goes to more parties and socializes more than I do.

As far as losing friends, I'm sure there will be a few people who don't want to hang out anymore now that I don't drink/use. I used to worry about this in the past but now I realize that my real friends will still be there and I need to make this change for me. I'm sure that I'm also going to make a lot of new friends being sober since my life won't be centered around doing the exact same **** week in and week out. I used to think drinking/using made me more social and interesting to other people but I'm also starting to find out that this isn't the case. Especially with drinking, I've had several people tell me that when I get drunk I turn into a different person and get a lot more aggressive and basically can turn into a bit of an *******.

I guess overall I'm just saying I feel where you're coming from and I hope we both get through this!

Peace and Love