Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Hevyn
Community Greeter

NewPosture - I'm glad you posted. It's a good discussion. I think this is one area where it's not "one size fits all" - where knowing ourselves is key. I remember early on going into a favorite bar to meet with friends and being very resentful that I couldn't have anything. Yet I knew I couldn't and wouldn't. I rarely put myself in that situation these days, but when I do - I no longer am angry or sorry for myself. It gets easier as you get stronger & more determined, though - so it probably isn't worth risking being tempted when you're newly sober. Today, I know I can't touch it even if one is put in front of me at a wedding reception, retirement party, whatever.

I do agree that these are early days for you and I would be very cautious 'til you get your sealegs. I think it's important that you're putting it out on the table by making it somewhat public, as you put it. When I first told my relatives (last Christmas) that I no longer drank I simply said, "I felt I was becoming too dependent on it." No one tried to coax me. (They were probably thinking "It's about time".) I honestly didn't think I'd ever have fun again without it. It did take awhile for me to adjust to not getting numb in order to have a good time, but now I can't imagine taking a chance on being dragged back into hell.

I hope we all enjoy the season - not just sober, but happy and content to be that way.