Old 12-09-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bdiddy5522

Thanks for clearing up what I was trying to say Mark. One other thing that was advised to me right after getting sober. My first day sober was a Monday. I was scheduled to leave that Wednesday afternoon for a 5 day hunting trip with a bunch of guys. I asked the guys that night that took me to supper and my first meeting what they thought, knowing I would be the only one drinking and would be around it constantly. What they told me was: "Sounds like an awesome time, have fun." I didn't get it. They told me (although every situation is different, and they felt I was in a pretty good "place") to say the serenity prayer a hundred times a day. Pray to my "God" and keep telling myself: "no one can make you drink if you don't want to." I also downloaded some AA speakers to my I-Pod to listen to at night. They said that is vital when you can't make it to a meeting. They all gave me their phone numbers and said call ANY time I feel like picking up a drink.

So I guess what I am saying is if you feel you need/want to go on this vacation, there is plenty of ammunition you can take with you to fight off cravings. The important thing is to NOT take that first drink.

PS: I did not drink on that trip!