Thread: relapsing
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

(Big Book quote from the 1st edition of Alcoholics Anonymous)

When I read this passage I have to focus on that first sentence. If I don't follow the program of AA, and the Steps as they are laid out in the Big Book, recovery becomes difficult and a relapse might become a reality. If I can post on a recovery forum, chances are pretty good that I'm capable of being honest with myself and can admit that I can't stay sober alone, I need help and support and a program for my recovery.

Relapse is part of the disease, but it's not part of recovery and help is freely available if you have the desire to stay sober. It doesn't have to be in the rooms of AA, there are other sources, find something that works for you and commit yourself to recovery, you can do this. Sobriety is possible, you won't die from not taking another drink. We really, really don't want you to die either.