View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 05:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RocketsintheSky

Welcome I agree with what Sugah said. Someone asked me once, it might have even been on here haha, "If someone only makes purges once a week, are they still bulimic?" and the answer is obviously yes, and it's the same with drug/alcohol addiction. A lot, if not most of the really addictive drugs usually don't have 'withdrawl', atleast not a physical one, esp. if the addict isn't using daily. Addiction is more about the mental aspect of it. I have never gotten any type of physical withdrawl really, and could go days without using, but like Sugah said, once I do, I never succeed at keeping within a healthy limit. Never...not once. Addiction is kind of a 'spectrum' disease, in that it effects and debilitates everyone in different ways. NA is made up of addicts from all different walks of life who have had addiction effect their lives in many different ways. It seems as though you feel you need some help and if others are telling you you need help, you probably do. I had to learn after lots and lots of trial and error that this is not something I can fix by myself, and that I am an addict and never will be able to control this part of me. As much as I wish I could control my using like so many of my friends can, I had to give up the fight and admit that I can't. I tried time and time again to get my DOC under control, or to a healthy balance, but I can honestly say, there has not even been one single time that I have succeeded. I have also learned that this disease is not even about the alcohol/drugs, those are just the symptoms of a deeper issue. If you have a problem controlling your drug/alcohol use, chances are there are deeper issues that you may not even realize are there. Coming to this forum was a great step, this is where I first came when I started to think I might have a problem.