View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 04:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

I will admit I have made several half-assed attempts at "quitting" on my own in the past and none of them worked in the long-term, so maybe it is time I stop trying to do it my way and take the AA/NA route?
First welcome to SR!!!

Let me respond first to the "I will admit I have made several half-assed attempts at "quitting" on my own in the past and none of them worked in the long-term" Man I can sure relate to that, I did just that hundreds of times for many years, my drinking kept getting worse every time I started again, so bad that the last 5 years of my drinking I drank even when I did not want to drink, I doubt if I drew a sober breath those last 5 years.

Now for the second part "so maybe it is time I stop trying to do it my way and take the AA/NA route?" Before I went into medical detox I knew without a doubt I was an alcoholic, I knew I did not have a clue on how to even get sober alone, staying sober I had many years of failure at that! I was a DRUNK!!! In detox they told us if we wanted a chance to stay sober to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor, I did just that. In AA my sponsor and the old timers shared that if one wants long term good sobriety it is important to take the steps with your sponsor. I did just that, today I am free of the bondage of my alcoholism and self.

skroomadoom you ask if AA/NA is right for you, I really do not know, for me and millions of others it has been. I would be willing to bet money that there are both AA & NA meetings either right on campus or just off of campus, brother you are not alone, the newcomers meeting I go to every Tuesday is composed a lot of college students.

skroomadoom have you had enough, are you ready to step out into the light and stop heading down the road you yourself have described as a slippery slope?

From what you have said going to a meeting every day may be a good idea. From what you have said you are either drinking, smoking dope, or doing opiates every day of the week, seems to me that going to AA & NA meetings sure is not going to do you any harm! LOL

Read the bolded again, let it sink in.

You have recieved some great replies, hang around and let us know how things are going.