View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KenL

So, basically, you're using something to alter your mental state from 7 to 11 times per week. That's based on what you wrote. That in itself is not a good thing if you ask me. But I can accept that I don't know the whole story.

From what I've learned, AA is not just for people who have reached the end of the line and have nowhere else to go. I go to AA meetings a few times a week. I've met some people who were much, much worse than I ever was.

AA, in my opinion, is for anyone who is in need of reaching out for help and friendship. It's for people who want to be a part of something more than themselves. That's how I look at it. They all share a common purpose...to stop and stay stopped. I think that anyone who is comtemplating quitting should really learn what alcoholism is and how it works. There are some good books that you can read on this topic. I couldn't tell you anything in regards to the other two drugs you're regularly using. But I do know alcoholism because I am an alcoholic.

There is a stigma about AA of course that pervades our society. That of course is that it's a cult and that if you are going to meetings that you "brandish the mark". Well that's just not the case, anymore. Every time someone speaks at those meetings they smash that stigma and open up a new world of understanding to anyone who cares to partake in being sober. I should know, I've said some pretty harsh things in regards to AA. But having actually gone to meetings I can tell you that AA is a good thing and that it truly does help anyone who is willing to put some effort into being a better person. Better, mentally, spiritually and physically among other things.

The bottom line is that only you can answer the question you ask. I just hope that my input has given you a little taste of what just one person has experienced with AA. Take the time to seek for yourself that which you are so curious about. Go to a couple of meetings and see what you think.

Good luck.