View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
FanofJoeMcQ

I have many friends today who understand that I don't drink or drug and don't question it at all. If I meet people who really make an issue out of it then I know they are not the friends for me. Be cautious not to set ourselves up for a relapse, be vigilant and talk about it with other recovery people. I even tell my AA friends if I am going out with non fellowship folks and sometimes they tag along. Not everyone has to wear their recovery on their sleeve. I don't. I go to concerts, festivals all with people who drink normally and i don't drink when I am with them. They have never asked me to drink. Once I said no they remembered and still enjoy my company. Bless you.

Besides, I like being a donut. Today, I am chocolate covered with sprinkles.

I should add a footnote: Three of my best friends are not in recovery. I met them through dog rescue. They don't even know I go to meetings and sponsor people. They accept me as I am. One of my friends had gastric by pass and she can't drink, the other doesn't drink for religious reasons and their spouses do drink. We are a funny blend of friends!!!! Embrace your new life. The best part about being in recovery is that we get to be present for all sorts of people I am glad to hear you sharing the challenges. We can do it.

Last edited by FanofJoeMcQ; 12-06-2009 at 09:34 AM.