View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober25

Well, I just joined this forum and caught your post right off the bat. I'll be glad to share a little experience, strength and hope with you. First of all, I know what you are going through. I've been there. It's no fun and it seems like forever, but it really is a very normal thing you are going through for someone new to sobriety.

Before I go any further let me congratulate you on your 10 days sober. That's a great start. I agree with you when you said that you really do not want to drink; if you did you would not have posted on the forum for help. You have made a smart move by asking for help.

It's been many years since I've been through what you described but I do recall how scary and uncertain those days were. Now, let me share some helpful words for you.

1) You can stay sober tonight. You have the power to choose if you take that first drink. Granted, if you are an alcoholic you will not have power over the second one, but you do have the power to say no to the first one. Don't forget that.

2) When you think of drinking, think it through to its conclusion. For example, don't just think about how good a beer would taste or how relaxed a few drinks would make you, or how much fun you once had drinking, but think of all the trouble that would follow. Reflect on what brought you to sobriety in the first place. Think of the hell you have already been through that will come back with the drinking. Think of all of that when you think of drinking. It does help, I've done that many a time.

3) You may want to go to an AA meeting tonight. They are very important for newcomers. Get some phone numbers of people in the group. Call them if you need to, and talk about what is bothering you, and if you are feeling this way I know something is bothering you.

Do whatever you have to do to stay sober. Have a nice weekend.