View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I bet you are too busy to think about drinking. If that's the case there is a great side to this.
This can be very true and I admit I stayed extremely busy those first years in recovery, however, I also had to remember H.A.L.T.

H - hungry
A - angry
L - lonely
T - tired

And when any of those would hit they would throw me off, so that required me to learn 'balance' in my life also. Do what I absolutely HAD to do and then take some time for ME. To read, relax, rest, go to a meeting or whatever.

The days preceding my first Thanksgiving and Christmas sober were terrifying. I had some pretty bad memories of all my previous holidays. Then my sponsor said something to me I had never thought of ................................ I could make new memories, WOW what a concept.

First Turkey Day and Xmas I went to the Mission (yes Clancy's in downtown L.A.) and helped serve and clean up. It was really great.

After that for years I held an 'Open House' buffet style from Noon to 8pm for any and all in the fellowship and that was so neat. Lots of fellowship and just plain fun and chit chat. I would prepare for weeks ahead of time and the week of the event be doing a lot of cooking and baking after work into the night. Yes some folks would bring something to add to the table but I wanted that table to be full so folks could go back for seconds. Yes it was a lot of hard work but I learned how to take 'pleasure' in doing for my fellow man.

So Vegi, sounds like your plate IS pretty full. VENT AWAY. We are here for you, but please remember to take those 15 minutes or more here and there for YOU. Do some deep breathing and bring the calmness back. We have a choice today to NOT feed the chaos, and instead walk through it with peace and serenity.

Know we are with you in spirit.

Love and hugs,