View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mrak
Is it hot here or am I crazy?

This is my opinion: I have always been a firm believer that the "title" alcoholic is overused and misused. Someone does not have to be clinically deemed an alcoholic to have problems in their life due to drinking. Some people want to belong to this exclusive group to gain sympathy or attention. Or they like holding this title so others will show them compassion and forgive their behavior. Calling one’s self an alcoholic also seems to allow people the opportunity to offer an excuse for their behaviors such as, "Oh I know I'm such a screw-up, but I can't help it... I'm an alcoholic." Or, "I can't quit drinking. I've tried but I'm an alcoholic." I often used the title "Alcoholic" so I wouldn't have to accept responsibility for myself or my own decisions.

It’s nice to be able to blame something else for my mistakes, indiscretions and failures. “I'm normally not like that, it was the alcohol,” or "I was drunk, I didn't know what I was doing" and "I can't help it, I'm an alcoholic" are great excuses. And the best part about using alcohol as an excuse, alcohol can’t defend itself.

The harsh reality is that "I'm an alcoholic" is not a valid excuse and I don’t have to be an alcoholic for drinking to adversely impact my life. Anything that gets in the way of me performing my daily responsibilities or creates conditions in my life - that I don't like - is a problem. I also believe that if you think you have a problem, you probably do have a problem.

I prefer to call myself what I am - a recovered drunk.

I agree with tyler that the "principles" are good and have been a great reference point for me. It can be some of the people involved that I have had difficulty with. I have also been to many meetings and experienced statements like; "You have to accept... You have to turn your will/life over to... You have to read... You need a... or you're going to fail!" This is not support - those are threats. I am NOT bashing, just sharing my own experiences. Maybe I need to try some different locations?

I have been sober for over 4 years, 1 month, 21 days (but who's counting?) I respect alcohol for what it is and what it was designed to do - get me drunk - so I don't play with it anymore.

Strictly my own opinion and I reserve the right to be wrong.

SR is a great place to help each other stay sober. Best of success and happiness to everyone here.