Thread: Pink Cloud?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 05:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
keithj

That pink cloud term gets thrown around a lot and means different things to different people. I used to joke around about 'how long can this last' well past my first year of sobriety. Although I was pretty euphoric for a good long while, it was different than my previous attempts at sobriety. It felt grounded and based in wonder and a lot of certainty. I was amazed a lot of the time.

I've been around long enough now to have a healthy concern for people that seem to have everything going just great in early sobriety. I've seen over and over someone who gets things all put together in their life; the job is back, they get the legal stuff settled, the spouse lets them come home, they can drive again, only to relapse hard for seemingly no good reason.

Having everything go well seems to distract them from doing any real work in recovery. The sobriety is based on circumstance in life, and that kind of sobriety rarely lasts. Far better, I've come to believe, is someone who struggles enough that they stay motivated in taking the steps. That usually requires staying rooted in step 1.