View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Recovered1

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Recovered
I always advise people to seek professional help as soon as possible. I think thats especially important in the case of dual diagnoses.

Not being American your system confuses me - I realise you have insurance issues, but, bottom line, isn't your health and well being the most important priority here?

If it gets to the point where drinking looks like your best option, I think you need more options, Rec.

D
Thank you D,

I am frustrated beyond belief. Yes, our American system sucks. Yes, my health and well being is most important, but you must understand we can lose everything for medical conditions. At times we have to weigh the benefits. If we can take care of things on our own, that is what we do.

I voted for Obama and I am incredibly frustrated. I should not walk around with my choices being getting help and getting my insurance canceled (and all this implies) versus not getting help. Yet this is where things stand in this country. I am uninsurable in the private sector due to my drinking and mental health issues. I cannot buy it at any price, save for what we call "portability insurance," which costs a fortune and covers catastrophic situations only. It's complicated.

At any rate, I spoke with a woman from my group this morning. We need to address the bottom line issues, as we are falling like flies. She has offered to come over and sit with me through this process. If I go into the hospital, she has offered to take care of my pets. Thanks.