View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mrak
Is it hot here or am I crazy?

Hi FleurdeLis,

Congratulations on your choice to live sober. I agree with the other posters here, you don't owe anyone any explanations.

You can be proud of what you have done and the goals that you are working towards. You don't have to go out of your way to tell everyone (at Holiday events) your trials and tribulations, but be proud. Be willing to tell the important people in your life what you have accomplished. It's okay to tell people, "I don't drink anymore." Maybe even add, "and please don't tempt me." Then move on to talk about other subjects and things that are going on in their lives.

I was a very heavy drinker (sober for over 4 years now). Some people at parties - that I haven't seen for a while - are surprised to see that I am not drunk. I just say that I don't drink. I don't discuss my recovery or preach. I'm there to enjoy a party. It is my choice to leave when I want or to walk away from those that I don't want to talk to, if they're too drunk.

I normally ask for a seltzer with a twist of lemon or coffee. Then I have something in my hand and most don't ask, "Do you need a drink?" If they keep pushing, I simply say, "sorry, can't, I'm the designated driver tonight" and I start talking about something else.

I hope your Holidays are healthy, happy, fun and completely drama free - now that you are sober.