Old 12-01-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovered1

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
Hmm, you must really like this physician, or, he may be the only one available to you. He cannot fire you without giving you a grace period, and if necessary, a referral to someone else in his capacity.

I don't know, nor necessarily need to know, the details... but that's no kind of doctor/patient relationship... so if you have to, find another doctor and have the kind of open and honest relationship that you need....

So I take it AA is not an option for you?

Mark
He's not a bad Dr. I am just not a very good patient. He has really tried to help me but the truth is I have to be willing to not drink and see whatever hellish mental health issues through. I couldn't make it past 45 days as I was just so freaked out over that whole H1N1 thing (so far my diagnoses are bipolar, alcohol dependence, possible ADHD, OCD and a phobia thrown in for good measure).

So I take another stab at this. AA is great for meeting people and forming a social network (I've met some very good people there and some not so good people there) but I simply to not subscribe to the 12 steps. If I were to go I would tell people I want no steps, I want no sponsors and the only reason I was there was to make friends. The only problem with that approach is I would be shunned and that is not the best way to make friends. No, I have to be true to me and just muddle through somehow. I have given the AA program a LOT of shots and it's just not for me.

Anyway, I really do appreciate your thoughtful input