Old 11-30-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovered1

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
I need to be careful, I am not going to give you any medical advice.

Speaking in general terms, there are many, many reasons why a person is having a hard time focusing... Depression, Anxiety, Grief, Medication, Illness, Intoxication, Drug and Alcohol Withdrawal, PAWS... to name just a few.

Follow your physician's advice and don't take any medical advice you get here. But, speaking as a fellow traveller, get informed and ask a lot of questions and be absolutely honest with your health care providers. About how you feel "slow and stupid" with the medication, about your alcohol (other??) abuse.... be honest and open about everything!!

Going off four psychotropic medications, all at once, cold turkey.... that had to be a rough ride, definitely not recommended.

If your psych suggested ADHD, get a great book "Driven to Distraction"... it has some NON CHEMICAL ways to get yourself focused.

BTW... ADHD is NOT a diagnosis anyone should make themselves, ever, so don't even try... don't google that all day like you did with H1N1.... Just work with an expert in it so an expert can tell you what it is.

Mark
Thanks, Mark. I will work with an expert. I have to call tomorrow and make an appointment. The insurance thing had me preoccupied. And I really need to detox myself off of this demon rum, once again.

Yes, going off four meds at once was something. I was involved with someone who implied I was "slow" so I just stopped them. What followed was weeks of sweating and the like with much drinking. I called my Dr. and made an appointment and now I am on a minimal dose of a mood stabilizer for the bipolar.

I cannot be completely honest with my Dr. or he will fire me. I am not prepared to get fired. He fired my friend and now she is in the hospital with a broken leg. Not his fault. (Coincidentally enough, we had the same shrink.) It's just the person he referred her out to is hardcore AA and that isn't an option for her or me. I am trying to do the best I can with what resources I have. I go to WFS and I called a woman today and her husband told me she was non-responsive, due to the booze. At this point in time, resources in the world are very limited to tackle the whole problem of addiction.

Ah well, this whole thing sucks all the way around. Thanks for your post.