View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

Welcome to SR!

As ((Cynicalone)) said, methadone is a tool. It is only ONE tool of recovery...it eases off the cravings. I'm a recovering addict (RA) as well as a recovering codie, and recovery from addiction requires a whole lot more than just not having cravings. I had to learn to live life without wanting to "numb" my feelings...how to deal with the stuff "normal" people do and not want to reach for something to "make it go away".

For a lot of addicts, that means meetings-AA or NA. I have SR and some very supportive friends/family - some of which are recovering addicts. There is NO WAY I would have over 2-1/2 years clean if I had not had the support of other RA's. No matter how much my family loves me, they just don't "get" addiction and can't help me when I have those "using" thoughts. Yes, the thoughts still come, but I've developed other tools and have the resources to get past the thoughts.

You've gotten great advice - focus on you, and let him focus on him. Go by his actions, not his words. If he's JUST taking methadone and doing nothing else, in my opinion, he's not really in recovery.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy