View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Goat
capra laeviculus

Leftovers! Perhaps the best part of Thanksgiving :-D Anybody got any creative ideas for them?

So when I awoke from my tryptophan-induced coma this morning, I did indeed set out for the stores. I had a pretty good shopping trip! I'm not sure I'll do that again though!

Originally Posted by Asta1 View Post
Goat - You always make such great dinners. How did you learn to cook? As for me, pretty much self taught by cookbooks. My mom wasn't much of a cook. My dad, however, was a baker by trade. Always had lots of good fresh baked goods in the house. It's amazing I didn't turn into the size of a house!
Thank you! Baking is my weak point I can make cakes and pies all day, but my bread is always hit-or-miss...

I'm not exactly sure how I learned to cook. I didn't start cooking at all until I got married the first time, and then it was only typical bachelor meals My second wife raved about her own cooking constantly but never wanted to cook. So when the kids came along I started doing most of the cooking, and managed to really **** her off when she realized I was better at cooking than she was. By the time I booted her butt out I had really caught a cooking bug, and I started challenging myself to make "hard stuff." Somewhere along the way I discovered that food is much better and more fun to make if you make it all from scratch.

Funny thing about being of the make-everything-from-scratch mentality is that some folks don't expect food to be made that way. One year I went to a thanksgiving party at my neighbor's house. I was the only person at the party who was not a farmer. I brought a pumpkin pie and an apple pie. I got lots of complements on my apple pie, but my pumpkin pie was sitting next to an obvious canned-pumpkin pumpkin pie. Nobody touched mine... they all went for the canned one

-Goat