Thread: New to Sobriety
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Calypso

New to Sobriety

Hi,
I'm extremely new to all this, so please bear with me. Long story short: I broke up with my girlfriend of 2 1/2 years of perfection because something was "off". I felt I needed to be alone and figure myself out. School wasn't going well, and I was in a constant state of disorganization, forgetfulness, and procrastination. I was constantly broke, tired, and anxious. Most of my professors were getting more and more annoyed at my inability to take care of even the smallest bits of business.

Once I was alone, free to take care of myself, and figure out what was wrong and how to fix it, I noticed right away that nothing was going well at all! That's when my now-ex-girlfriend approached my alcohol abuse, and refused to let me get away with it any longer. I denied it, of course, until talking with my parents. They helped me to realize that I am alcohol dependent, and every problem in my life, internal and external, could be attributed to my drinking habits.

So I called my best friend (who's a very passionate advocate of not letting your vices rule your life, and hates my drinking/smoking) and asked if he'd like to join me on a minimum of 7 days sober. He agreed, and now I'm on day 4. A week is only the start, I really want to prove to myself and everyone in my life that I can make it a month, 6 weeks, or however long it takes to become comfortable with my self-control again.

Last night was the first 3-day period I've gone without being drunk in about 2 years, and I feel great. Life is already getting back on track. However, I get the "itch" every once in a while. Which is why I'm here. I was referred to by a friend of mine, and would greatly appreciate any advice or help offered. I plan on going to AA meetings starting next week after I return home from Thanksgiving Break.

I'm curious about a few specific questions, like: When do you think I will be able to drink comfortably again? Should I EVER think about drinking comfortably again, or should I just stay sober from now on? I noticed a few posts of people "counting" days in between their next drink, or "planning" on drinking only Saturdays, which is the level I was hoping to get to, but that may not be healthy. What can I do about the "itch"? Should I test out whether or not I'm comfortable to go in to a bar with friends and order soda, or would the temptation hinder my progress?

I truly appreciate being a part of a community that knows what I'm going through. I thought I could do this on my own, partly for vanity's sake, but I've realized that's not true. Thanks...