Thread: Thriving Sober
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by flutter View Post
I thought maybe some of you with much longer sober living time than I could post about your successes.
I'm still pretty much a baby in recovery too, but I haven't felt it necessary to take a drink since the day I walked into my first AA meeting.

My life lately has been blessed with more gifts than I ever dreamed of. I've heard it said in AA that if you tried to write down all the things you think might come to you as gifts of sobriety, you'd sell yourself short. I've already found that to be true in less than 5 years.

I'll share just a few things that've happened recently......

* I got remarried recently to a woman who's also in recovery. It was a divorce that brought me to AA in 2005, at that time I didn't think anyone would ever love me again, nor was I capable of caring about someone else.

* I've got a step-daughter, a step-granddaughter and another one on the way, and my two children and I have a relationship that's nothing short of amazing. I never dreamed of having so many friends and so much unconditional love in my life, it makes me feel rich beyond words.

* A month ago my son commented that going to church was a waste of his time and life. This past weekend he decided (on his own) to go Young Life winter camp. He sent me a text message on the way home to let me know that he was reading the New Testament on the bus, the trip was a life-changing event for him. That's not my work, that's God working in his life. Unbelievable. But it doesn't surprise me.

* Naturally this year has brought a lot of financial struggles my way, I know we can all relate. But all my needs are being met, and the wants have become much less important. My eyes are opened daily to the things that really matter in life.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all, I hope we all have something to be grateful for.