View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  
Tytan

Day 15 and things are going just fine.
Thanks for the advice Asta… but everything turned out okay. After two months of fighting over a reasonable amount of paternity leave… especially for a guy who volunteered to spend a year in a war zone next year… I finally received the approval for the 8 days I wanted. It took an act of congress to get it… no seriously… my entire chain of command had a meeting about my leave request today. Yes, your tax dollars at work. In the end they granted me the 8 days but let me know that it was very inconvenient for the good of the whole… and that they were really going above and beyond for me since they are letting me have more than the normal amount of leave given to fathers. (Which is 100% false… I know it’s false… I asked for the same amount of time that two other guys were granted without issue last year… and a third guy actually took the full 3 months as provided by the Family Medical Leave Act). Anyway, I simply thanked them for their decision and let them know that “don’t worry, I’ve already instructed my wife, if she conceives again, to make sure the due date is in a more convenient time of year, not overlapping with the holidays.” I’m such a *******. Anyway… I am very happy about it… my wife is very happy about it… she’ll only be on her own for a month… and we get to spend Christmas together! Hurray!
Now I want a drink to celebrate! Wait… no… forget I said that.
VC: Sorry to hear the holidays are starting to get you down. Is this going to be first time you meet the kids? And based on their age and I can totally understand the stress. And hey! Just give him your grocery receipts. Lol.
Akazia: glad to hear you are starting to feel better!