Thread: Jeckel_&_Hyde
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 06:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
firestorm090

Hi Saphie,

How does Dr. Jekyll fight off Mr. Hyde?

That's a great question. If I recall correctly, the story involves an elixir that Dr. Jekyll has concocted and when he drinks this elixir, he becomes Mr. Hyde. What a perfect analogy of what happens to us when we drink booze. We become Mr. Hyde, in the sense that we are not ourselves, we are someone who we think we want to be, although it's just a delusion. We are the same person when drunk.... we're just drunk. It's also fitting that the story involves the secret laboratory that the Dr. used while creating his magic elixir, for we have, in our own ways created our secret labs, whether they are purses, bars we know people won't come to look for us, the basement, bathroom, and under the stars, garages, you name it, we've done it. We've hid behind trees, ducked into the alley for a quick snort, popped a shooter in the bath before returning to that boring dinner with in-laws, we're a creative bunch. We surprise ourselves sometimes with our ingenuity in getting the drink we need in even the most sober of environments.

You did what it took to fight off Mr. Hyde this time by not taking a drink. That's the key, we don't drink the magic elixir. Not easy, but much better than running down the streets screaming like a madman, or sitting at home with the drapes closed, scared of our own shadow. Oh, and that Hollywood version of Mr. Hyde, well, he looked just like me the last time I drank.....scary stuff, lol.

Way to go.