Thread: Newcomer
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 10:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Asta1

LightAtTheEnd, Your selected username says almost as much about you as your post. I'm new in recovery. This is the end of day 17 for me. Tomorrow at day 18 will be the longest period of not having any drink in a long long time. Can't say as I really can see that Light yet, but I know it has to be there, just from the many success stories of others who post on this site. I am taking it day by day. What I can't do for the rest of my life, perhaps I can do for one more day. There is no better time to stop the cycle than now. I did a lot of the same things you describe...can be pretty scary and embarrassing, (altho I have to admit I always knew what city I was in -- I don't travel much :-)) You are still so young. You have so much life ahead of you that you can enjoy and be sober enough to realize you ARE enjoying it, and even remember the good times the day after. My daughter is just a little older than you. She has 2 alcoholic parents (I divorced her father many years ago) and she is very at risk of developing a problem just like her parents and she knows it. My real serious drinking (passing out etc) didn't start until this year really, but what a fast track it was.

The longer you continue to drink, the harder it will be to stop. There is a lot of help out there. Check the yellow pages in your local phone book, check the internet. AA is not the only recovery program out there. Start reading and trying things until you find something that "clicks" with you. The sooner the better, right? You don't have to go thru more days of awful withdrawal if you quit now. Please? I've droned on long enough. I care.