View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CrackQuack

If it were me, I'd throw it out but not expect anything, productive, to happen. In other words, I'd expect him to get another one and hide it in a better place. He's old. He's set in his ways. And he obviously does not want to change. Anyone, who abuses drugs (and alcohol is a drug), has to WANT to quit. You and Grandma can only do so much and gramps will learn better ways to hide it. He may also get angry or resentful that you're runining his "good time". It's a cycle that will repeat itself over and over until he desires to change or dies. Unfortunately.

My own grandfather gave up a 4 pack a day cigarette habit to continue his alcohol abuse. He regularly beat my grandmother and dragged his kids(my mother and her siblings) out of bed at 3-4AM to dance and sing with the music he played. Mom STILL cannot stand "I just called to say I love you". She hates that song so much. Just brings back a lot of horrible memories.
My grandfather passed away in his late 50's. Cancer ate him up. He was alone. None of his kids nor his wife stood by the bedside. They did visit a couple of times. I remember seeing his once. Alcoholism can be very lonely indeed.
Flip side is street drugs, and my family has all kinds of stories. Including me. For another day..
Anyway, getting back on topic, there isn't a whole lot you can do except pray. Hope and pray. When my parents both smoked cigs, I threw away the cigarettes and lighters CONSTANTLY. They'd just go buy more. I'd complain about smelling like crap from the smoke. I'd complain about their health. All that. They just kept at it until they both got bronchitis (sp?) so badly one year that they were hospitalized for weeks. That woke them up and they quit..
Now I smoke cigs.. Go figure..