View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
crunch1013

Busted Grandpa...now what?

Hi all.

A few months back -- my grandmother came home to my grandfather passed out -- and lying on the floor. He has a history of moderate drinking -- but in my lifetime he's never gone overboard like this. He's getting older -- has had a history of depression/anxiety and I guess I can't say with 100% certainly -- but I'm sure he is abusing to help lighten his mood. My grandma threw out all the alcohol -- but she does allow him to have one when they go out for a meal.

He comes over to my parents house everyday to take out dog out for a walk over the noon hour. Sometimes I go to their house during that time -- and a couple times I have spotted him in the heavy grove of trees. Immediately, my mind decided he was hiding a bottle of something. Yesterday -- I smelled it on his breath -- and today when he was down there I again saw him walk into the trees at the beginning and end of the walk. I investigated and found a bottle of whiskey hidden under some leaves at the spot I saw him entering and existing the grove.

What should I do? He's 80 years old...doesn't appear to be sloshed ever -- and I'm wondering if it's okay to let him continue this? The easy thing to do would be to turn him in -- but he's old and...well -- I guess I'll wait for the advice.

Thanks!