View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
jazzz

I think it comes from being grateful to have figured out what was wrong, getting help and discovering a whole new life that's maybe even better then it was before the drinking ever started.
It's a bit like having cancer (not that I know how that feels like) and getting well. You see life through whole new lences and that can make you feel grateful, in a sense.

If you can get rid of the idea of ever wanting to drink normally again, get rid of any jealousy and resentment towards normal drinkers, then I think you can feel an enormous sense of gratefulness for having been shown that fact and been getting a whole new way of life that works for you

Not every recovering alcoholic is grateful, I can't say I am, yet. Not grateful to be an alcoholic, but I do feel grateful that I've figured out what my problem is and doing something about it. I feel sorry for my friends who are still drinking and maybe they'll never stop. They'll just go on and on and on until it's too late for them.

I must admit to being jealous at them, as well. I'm still only 3 months sober, so I still have ideas about getting drunk again. I won't cos I know it's the disease talking. But I can be jealous at their drinking for not having the same consequenses as it did for me. "Why can they drink so much and still have so much fun??". In the end, I think it's just the alcoholic in me trying to convince me to go back out and try again. I really don't think they're having as much fun as I think. Hahah...kinda sets myself in perspective. I'm ****** up, but I feel well on my way to recovery and for that I'm grateful